Eat fat to loose fat!
Eating fat to loose fat. Yes. You have read it right. Eat fat to loose fat. How can this be true? This article will explain the ways how to loose weight with this miracle oil called Virgin Coconut Oil.
Is Coconut Oil Weight Loss just another Fad Diet?
Coconut Oil does not exist only recently or over the past few years although it may seem that way. Coconut Oil has been a healing superfood for many centuries in tropical cultures. In certain traditional cultures, they value Coconut Oil for its tremendous medicinal power and remarkable health benefits from consuming them regularly.
Despite the bad reputation given to coconut oil in the middle of the 20th century by western society due to political influences, somehow the truth is inevitable that Coconut Oil is the best Oil in the world for longevity and overall health. Thanks to the few health pioneers who are willing to reconsider the scoop of Coconut Oil, dig the old papers, do research and do their own experiments. Now we know this Oil has its place in a healthy diet.
Proponents of Coconut Oil suggest that it has various health benefits, ranging from disease prevention and strengthening immune system as well as reversing ageing process. But, this article will only concentrate on the health benefits of Coconut Oil with regards to body mass index (BMI), ideal weight and the amazing fat burning eﬀects. Studies have showed Coconut Oil is link to weight loss and reduced abdominal fat.
How does Coconut Oil help Weight Loss?
It is due to Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) content that is unique to Coconut Oil, makes it the weight loss champion. Approximately 60% of the saturated fat in Coconut Oil is in the form of MCT. The claim that Coconut Oil promotes weight loss is based on the fact that our body metabolizes MCTs diﬀerently than long chain triglycerides or LCTs which account for the other 40% of the saturated fat in Coconut Oil. MCTs are less likely to circulate through your body and be stored as fat after digestion because unlike LCTs, they travel directly from your intestine to your liver. MCTs on the other hand, are directly used for energy once absorbed by the body.
Thus, boosting your metabolic rate in the process. Another added bonus to this is that, the coconut oil make it easier for you to maintain a healthy weight or ideal weight.
Coconut Oil helps shrink waist circumference. How?
Another promising advantage of Coconut Oil is that it influences abdominal fat or visceral fat. Visceral fat is far more dangerous than those subcutaneous fatty tissues. It is the fat that makes you appear as apple shape or central obesity.
Visceral fat is associated with increase risk of heart disease, diabetes and hypertension. This fat can push outward, increasing a person’s abdominal girth or waist circumference making the apple shape appearance.
Coconut Oil and it's Calories
Virgin Coconut Oil is not like any other oil in this world. As mentioned before, it contains Medium Chain Fatty Acids (MCFA) that are used to produce energy rather than packed away into fat cells.
It has been calculated that coconut oil has lower calorie per gram, 8.6 kcal instead of 9 kcal. In fact, Coconut Oil has gained the reputation as being the world’s only natural low calorie fat.
3 Reasons why Coconut Oil helps fat loss
A low calorie fat is a strange concept, but Coconut Oil fits this description perfectly.
There are 3 reasons why coconut oil has this reputation.
- The first reason is Coconut Oil actually has fewer calories than any other fat. All other fats have 9 calories per gram. Coconut Oil has lightly less, about 8.6 calories per gram. Although it isn’t much of a diﬀerence, but this isn’t the main reason for its low fat reputation. The other 2 reasons are much more important. Read on.
- The second reason is that Coconut Oil satisfies hunger better than any other fat and probably any other food. When you add Coconut Oil to a meal, you become satisfied sooner and do not get as hungry between meals so you can go longer without snacking. By the end of the day you tend to eat less food and consume fewer calories. This means you have fewer excess calories that can be packed away into storage as body fat.
- The third reason for Coconut Oil’s reputation as low calorie fat is that it lifts metabolism to a higher level. As metabolism increases, calories are consumed at a higher rate. Since more calories are burned up, fewer are left to be converted into body fat. More good news is that this increase in metabolism doesn’t last for just an hour or two after a meal. Studies has shown that after a single meal containing MCTs, metabolism remains elevated for a full 24 hours. During this time your body will be burning calories at an accelerated rate and you will enjoy an increased level of energy.
Because of the above reasons, Coconut Oil is not only being recommended as a means to manage weight but also as a means to treat obesity.
Many people has reported that they have lost 5 to 20 pounds by simply adding Coconut Oil to their diets. The results you experience will vary depending on other factors such as diet and activity level. If you sit around eating candy and doughnut and gorge yourself at mealtime, Coconut Oil isn’t going to do the impossible. To achieve the best results in weight management Coconut Oil should be used in conjunction with a sensible diet and exercise program. Add the oil to meals to help satisfy hunger and prevent overeating and enjoy the energy boost it gives.
Coconut Oil and Body Metabolism
One of the reason why you get fat easily is that you metabolism is stuck in low gear. Researches have proven that a combination of both stress and malnutrition can be the cause among others.
Stress when acute/short term does increase your metabolism. For example, you are late for work. The body responds by pumping up metabolism to enable you to run, quickly climb up stairs and arrive at work on time. The problem arises however, when stress become chronic/long term. The prolonged stress places a great demand on the body for vitamins and minerals. If the needed nutrients are depleted or not present, the body senses a situation similar to that of starvation and shifts into low gear. Further down the line, when nutrients become depleted the body goes into a state of exhaustion and becomes locked in low gear. The body automatically does this as a means of self preservation to converve energy and nutrients that are vital to maintaining life.
Any type of chronic or severe physical, mental, or emotional stress, such as pregnancy and childbirth, divorce, death of a loved one, job demands, family troubles, surgery, accidents, illness or lack of sleep. Diets of high refined grains, sweets, sugar and processed vegetable oils made it worse. So, what can you do to solve this metabolism stuck in low gear?
The first step in correcting a low metabolism is improving nutritional status. Cut out junk foods, eat more fresh fruits and vegetables, take a multiple vitamin and mineral supplements and start using Coconut Oil daily.Since Medium Chain Fatty Acids (MCFA) boost metabolism, coconut oil has a simulator eﬀect that can kick start or reset the metabolism at a higher level of eﬃciency.
Many people have reported how simply adding coconut oil into their diets has stimulated metabolism as evidenced by an increase in body temperature. Normal body temperature is 98.6 degrees F (37 degree C). Temperature below this indicates low metabolism.
Virgin Coconut Oil promotes ideal weight
Because of Coconut Oil’s eﬀect on weight loss, some people have asked the question, “Will it make skinny people skinnier?” From what have been researched, the answer is no. Studies have shown that the less body fat you have, the less eﬀect coconut oil has on stimulating metabolism and burning up calories. Whether you are overweight or underweight, coconut oil added to the diet will help you reach the size that is best for you.
How to properly and safely use Coconut Oil for weight loss?
The key to successful and lasting weight loss is to ensure steady blood sugar so that any extreme ups and downs are avoided. Insulin spikes and crashes causes you to fall oﬀ the wagon and make a beeline for the junk food aisle at the supermarket for jumbo bag of chips or jumbo size chocolate bars.
4 ways Coconut Oil supports weight loss and maintains your weight
How to steady the blood sugar over long periods of time and between meals? The answer is regular consumption of healthy, satiating nourishing fats. Coconut Oil for weight loss is the optimal fat to choose for this purpose. The best of the best of the best in this category is Organic Virgin Coconut Oil.
The reason why Virgin Coconut Oil is so eﬀective for losing weight as well as ongoing weight maintenance is 4 fold.
LAURIC ACID CONTENT:
First, the plethora of healthy medium chain saturated fatty acids (MCT oils) boost metabolism for immediate energy. Lauric Acid is the most notable of these.
SUPPORTS THYROID FUCTION:
Secondly, some research suggests that it supports thyroid function. A strong thyroid is essential for achieving a healthy weight.
MCT IS NOT STORED AS BODY FAT:
Thirdly, MCTs don’t store as body fat. As a bonus, the MCTs in coconut oil don’t end up as stored body fat like longer chain monounsaturated fatty acids. These MCTs are metabolized very diﬀerently. The human body does not store digested MCTs as fat, but instead transports them directly tot he liver where MCTs are quickly converted into energy. Hence, beware of scams that promote industrialized oils like the CLA saﬄower oil diet for weight loss, canola oil, vegetable oil and olive oil diet are all scams.
MAINTAINS HEALTHY GUT ENVIRONMENT:
Finally, coconut oil is highly anti fungal, anti bacterial and anti viral which discourages pathogens in the gut from usurping roles ideally performed by probiotics. Research has demonstrated that thin people tend to have a healthier intestinal mirobiome than overweight and obese individuals. Hence, using Coconut Oil can help change that microbial balance for the better over the long term
6 Reasons why you should be taking Coconut Oil for weight loss
- Coconut Oil increases your energy levels: Coconut Oil is comprised mainly of medium chain triglycerides (MCT) lauric acid. This essential fatty acid metabolizes very diﬀerently and human body does not store digested MCTs as fat but instead transports them directly to the liver where it is quickly converted to energy.
- Coconut oil decreases hunger and curbs cravings: We have already mentioned that MCT go straight to the liver during digestion. Not only it boost the body energy level, the processing of MCTs also forms ketone bodies which have the added benefit of reducing hunger and cravings. Therefore helping you to lose weight faster.
- Coconut Oil burns fat faster: Coconut oil enhances the bodies ability to digest food and absorb nutrients so you can eat less without feeling weak or tired all the time. Also, because it is a natural mood elevator, daily intake of coconut oil can help you feel less stressed and more motivated to partake in healthy cardiovascular activities which help you burn oﬀ persistent fat stores even faster. Regular consumption of Coconut Oil has the power to ramp up your fat burning potential especially those stubborn belly fat.
- Coconut Oil helps to balance your hormones: Without proper building blocks, usually fatty acids or derivatives thereof, your body can’t properly synthesize the hormones needed to regulate such things as mood, thyroid function, digestion, sex drive and metabolism. The MCT in coconut oil assist the body in the conversion of cholesterol in the blood stream into the sterone pregnenolone. This endogenous bio chemical is one of the main precursor for the human body’s production of hormones. It means that Coconut Oil promotes the production of healthy hormones which improve digestion, reduce stress and anxiety, increase energy and help you burn away stubborn fat stores such as those around the waist, buttocks and thighs.
- Coconut Oil helps the body absorb nutrients more eﬃciently: As previously mentioned, coconut oil has the power to improve digestion. More importantly daily consumption of coconut oil actually helps your digestive tract to absorb fat soluble vitamins (A,D,E,K) more eﬃciently. These vitamins are responsible for such things as cellular regeneration, healthy skin and bones, improved mood and brain function. Vitamin D further aids digestion by promoting the uptake of vital minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium and zinc. When your body has all the vitamins and minerals that it needs, you will feel better all over. You are less stress, not constantly hungry and has higher motivation to reach your goal.
- Coconut Oil helps to stabilize your blood sugar: Because Coconut Oil absorbs easily without the need for digestive enzymes, the pancreas is less stressed and able to produce insulin more eﬃciently. Also, as a saturated fat, coconut oil makes it easier for cells to bind with insulin during digestion. When your body has the required amounts of insulin, you cells receive the glucose they need to fuel your daily activities. Coconut Oil helps your body to maintain stable blood sugar levels by promoting the eﬃcient production and use of insulin, thus helping you lose weight.
Why Coconut Oil to lose weight is better than Olive Oil?
Olive oil in particular should be limited or avoided entirely by those wishing to lose weight.
This is surprising to many people as olive oil is typically the first healthy oil that they think of due to heavy promotion of this Mediterranean oil by conventional doctors and nutritionists. It has been heavily promoted as the healthiest oil for longevity.
Well, yes it can in a way if you drizzle this oil on your food or apply on your face. But if you cook this oil on high heat, the unstable mono-saturated fat becomes trans fat which will be harmful to the body as it acts like free radical in the body and easily stored as body fat. Studies has confirmed that the most predominantly fatty acid found in human body fat is mono-saturated fat. Mono-saturated fat is found in high amount in olive oil!. This could be the reason why Mediterraneans tend to gain weight in their middle age.
Therefore, olive oil in particular should be limited or avoided entirely by those wishing to lose weight. Transition into consuming saturated fat which is only found in high amount in Coconut Oil should be the way if you want to lose weight.
When choosing a fat to speed up weight loss, it is best to limit not only olive oil but also other oils similar to olive oil that contain monosaturated (omega 9) fats. Popular examples include peanut oil, avocado oil, canola oil, vegetable oil, cottonseed oil, rapeseed oil, grapeseed oil, soy bean oil, to list a few.
Coconut Oil for weight loss is the far better choice.
Gamma Linolenic Acid Supercharges Coconut Oil Weight Loss
Another booster for weight loss along with Virgin Coconut oil is GLA. Be sure to include this gamma linolenic acid (GLA) with your coconut oil weight loss eﬀort.
GLA facilitates the process of flushing fat by speeding metabolism like coconut oil. But, it does this in a very diﬀerent way. GLA stimulates internal brown fat. This is the type of fat that is usually dormant in overweight people. Brown fat is also more prevalent in young people and women. As body mass index (BMI) decreases, metabolically active brown fat levels increase. This is the time to use the brown fat to your advantage.
GLA is primarily found in organ meats. As a result, unless you eat liver or heart regularly, it is best to supplement. The good news is that you only need small amounts. Combined with daily doses of Coconut oil, you will achieve the most eﬀective weight loss results.
The best quality GLA supplement is black current oil capsules. Black current oil contains suﬃcient GLA levels. It is also better tolerated than borage oil and is not estrogenic like evening primrose oil. Finally, it has the best overall fatty acid profile of all GLA supplements.
Another idea for helping the weight loss eﬀort is to consider combining your Coconut Oil protocol with a bone broth fast a couple of days a week.
Best Coconut Oil for weight loss
Be aware that not all Coconut Oil is created equal for weight loss purposes.
While Coconut Oil is very resistant to heat damage, solvents are frequently used to extract it, so sourcing high quality oil from a reputable company is of paramount importance to avoid any chemical residues.
Using only Organic Virgin Coconut Oil therapeutically for your weight loss eﬀorts is a good idea as all the delicate micro-nutrients in the oil will be preserved and no chemicals used in processing.
Recommendation on how to take Coconut Oil for weight loss
Here is what you need to do 20 minutes before your meal is the best time to take your Coconut Oil.
It will greatly reduce your appetite and help you feel more full quickly and be satisfied with smaller portions of food. Just take 2 softgel before meal or if you have Coconut Oil in liquid form, take one table spoon.
Countries that consume high amounts of coconut and coconut oil in their diets such as the Philipines, India and the Pacific Islands have significantly fewer cases of heart disease and obesity.
Supermodels are already onto the Coconut Oil for weight loss secret. Australian supermodel Miranda Kerr has been using coconut oil for years to maintain her enviable figure and won’t go anywhere without it.
Now remember, when using Coconut oil for weight loss to the maximum eﬀect you have to combine it with proper eating habits and workouts.
GOOD LUCK AND ALL THE BEST!
MBChB, Medical School University of Manchester, United Kingdom
Medicine and Surgery, Cosmetology, Cosmetic Chemistry, Special studies in Dermatology, Mesotherapy Medicine, Masters in Histopathology, Masters in Public Health, Masters in Aesthetic Medicine, Masters in Anti-aging, Regenerative & Functional Medicine
Working as Aesthetic & Anti Ageing consultant at Beverly Wilshire Medical Centre and
Founder and Managing Director at Belladonna Beauty Sdn Bhd
Datin Dr Nur Aireen Ismail
MBChB, Medical School University of Manchester, United Kingdom Medicine and Surgery, Cosmetology, Cosmetic Chemistry, Special studies in Dermatology, Mesotherapy Medicine, Masters in Histopathology, Masters in Public Health, Masters in Aesthetic Medicine, Masters in Anti-aging, Regenerative & Functional Medicine Working as Aesthetic & Anti Ageing consultant at Beverly Wilshire Medical Centre and Founder and Managing Director at Belladonna Beauty Sdn Bhd